From:
Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 1995 12:42:00 -0400
>          I like that statement that "the more time people spend
>          convincing themselves that they are in a profession, the
>          less likely it is that they actually are (or words to that
>          effect.)." I have a friend who is married to a member of the

That's always been *my* gut instinct, also -- but one must also take into
consideration others' perceptions.  *You* may know you're a professional
and should be treated (and compensated) accordingly, but if your employers
(city hall, university, what have you) do *not* see you as a professional
and treat (compensate) you on that basis, that's NOT so good.  It's not
just being accorded the dignity and authority commensurate with one's
professional standing, it's being PAID on a scale commensurate with same.

Of course, if you have to convince yourself first that you are in a
profession, you can't really convince others ...

>          Eric Siegel

Mario Rups