From:
Joanne Avant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 1995 14:43:33 -0600
The Interpretation & Exhibits Programs, Texas Parks and
Wildlife Dept, is currently restoring and refurnishing the
USS TEXAS, the only surviving dreadnought and the only
battleship to have participated in both World War I and II,
to its World War II Pacific configuration.  The ship is
anchored at La Porte (Houston), Texas.

We are looking for information on the restoration of stainless
steel.  Period pieces (1940s) of medical equipment often
have lower grade stainless steel components that are rusting
in their marine environment.

We have tried a combination of sanding and treating rusted
areas with "ospho" phosphoric acid treatment.  The rust is
controlled in this way, however, the acid -- even highly
diluted -- etches the finish of the metal.  The etching
goes deeper than the depth that can be corrected with a
buffer and compound.  We would like to avoid buffing altogether.

How can corrosion be controlled without damaging the
appearance of stainless?

On a separate question, is the ion exchange method to remove
tarnish from metals still valid?