From:
Gena Wagaman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:48:40 -0500
Cemetery walks are a means to opening up local history to an audience by
identifying and introducing the live person to the accomplishments of
the deceased and how those accomplishments have impacted modern life at
that locality. We have a cemetery which holds the remains of the Father
of West Virginia, along with 3 Governors and numerous national and local
legislators. It has been placed on the National Register of Historic
Places. We plan to have a heritage tourism site with walking tours and
hope to encourage genealogical research. This increases the number of
tourists and locals who would patronize shops and restaurants in the
downtown area as well as promote local history.

We are also restoring another cemetery that had been abandoned for
about 75 years and are recovering not only the history of the site but
also the history of the people interred there. We have already had
visitors from PA, VA, MD, NJ, IA, Wis, KY and CA.

Gena Wagaman
Marion County Historical Society
Cemetery Committee Chair

>>> Laura Wheaton <[log in to unmask]> 12/28/06 4:29 PM >>>
I'm curious about what you all think about this type of program. What
purpose
does it serve? Are they worthwhile, and why? What challenges do you
face in
implementation? Do all museums want to put one on? why or why not?

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).