From:
Robin Panza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 09:52:29 -5
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
writes:
> Sonja writes:
> " I'd at
> least like to make more than I do now at my job that's paying for my
> schooling..."
>
> I agree.  It appears that here we are all in a catch-22.  In order to do what
> we are trained for and what we apparently love, we must make the choices of "
> do I take a job in my field for a substandard wage and generally not-so-great
> benefits *just* so I can work in my field, or do I work and train and go to
> school for many years, and then take a totally unrelated job that pays more
> in order that I might pay off my school loans and  support myself with a
> modicum of comfort".  We'd all love to have benefits, sometimes we'd settle

Am I the only one who was aware of this *before* I chose to go to grad school?
My personal definition of "success" has always been to be paid to do what I
like to do.  I knew from the outset that academia didn't pay well, that I
should go into a manual labor job (construction, plumbing, steel mill, etc.) or
business/finance if I wanted money.  I *chose* personal fulfillment over
income.  Granted, I've landed a job that pays a liveable (not luxurious) wage
and includes health insurance and retirement, so it's easy for me to say I
chose a reasonable alternative.  However, I find it hard to believe that
anyone went into the extended training of grad school expecting to get rich!
Didn't these people even glance at the job market while they were in high
school?

Robin Panza                     [log in to unmask]
Section of Birds, Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh  PA  USA  15213