Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 1995 19:51:32 -0500
Colleagues,

Some time ago I responded as follows to a posting from Robin Murphy:

>I'm not sure what Robin means "seems as though the standards are already set".
>
>Standards for what?  For leasing or selling rights to the use of museum images
>to commerical concerns? (Continuum, Luna, etc..........

It has been pointed out to me that I probably shouldn't have mentioned
Continuum and Luna in the same breath.  So, a while after the fact -  I'd
like to set the record straight - at least as far as Luna goes.

I have learned that Luna isn't in the business of leasing or selling image
rights at all.  They do  three things:
1. Digital conversion
2. Software and systems to access and manage digital image resources
3. Electronic publications

When Luna scans images or publishes an electronic publication it doesn't
make any designs on the electronic rights to the images.  The owner of the
reproductions or objects scanned retains any rights they might have.

>From what I gather, it seems that their approach to digital imaging is
meant to provide a service that can help institutions develop and manage
their digital image collections.

Suzanne Quigley, from Detroit where it's about 5 degrees and the ice
crystals on the window are growing in beautiful random designs with tiny
streetlamps sparkling in each facet.  [log in to unmask]