From:
Patty Relay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:55:47 -0700
Richard,

Thank you for posting this on the list.  I agree that the images of this
mural may offend some people, but these murals provide a historical
context of our nation.  Many Post Office murals of the time depicted
scenes that empowered communities.  In small communities around the
country, images of local industry and heritage engendered the
population.

The bigger question is how do you make art in a democracy?  Competing
agendas must be heard.  Democracy will only move forward if differences
are respected.  The very fact that this discussion is brought to light
is a true testament of democracy.

Covering up the mural would be like covering up an uncomfortable
historical context.  It is important to remember the past so that we can
learn and make a better future.

Patricia Relay
Program Manager
Washington Art Consortium

"In times of crisis, it is to art that one can turn to find the center
of a society. Societies are not remembered by their battlements, but by
their art. Art is an essential reminder of what it is in life that
lasts, of why one lives. Art communicates, clarifies, mourns and
remembers. What else in our lives can do this?" -- Bella Lewitzky