From:
LaserRay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 12:47:18 -0500
North Bay Area Museum wrote:
> Does anyone know of a location where I might find designs for quality
> exhibit cases?  We anticipate relocating to a larger facility in the near
> future and will be needing more cases.  Ideally we would like to involve
> the community in their construction to save us money and strengthen
> relationships with others.

In addition to scouting out commercially available cases, I'd suggest
you visit museums or historic buildings which may have cases that
resemble what you have in mind, and consult with their makers/designers
(who'd be happy to talk about the pros and cons of particular cases
they have: I do this all the time with visiting scouts). There's really no
*one* kind of "quality" exhibit case, except the one that will serve your
needs best (in terms of security, accessibility, permanence, compatibility
with the building's character/artifacts displayed, etc.). By seeing existing
solutions in other institutions (and talking to real end-users), you gain
valuable information not possible in the blueprint stage. As a bonus, you
can perhaps consider involving community members in these visits: it could
give them more of a sense of having a stake in the new facility than if
they were to just build something drafted by others.

Ray
***
Philadelphia, PA
Home of the Flyers