From:
Dean DeBolt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 14:45:47 CDT
The last posting I read questioned why Colonial Williamsburg would institute
mandatory drug testing.  It is my understanding that mandatory drug testing
is used heavily in organizations and companies dependent on interaction with
the public (amusement/entertainment industry) or in situations where a drug
user could place others at risk (testing laboratories, operating rooms, etc.).
The attitudes of tour guides, role-playing actors, exhibit interpreters, and
similar outreach staff is keenly important to an enjoyable (hence profitable
and goodwill-producing) visit to places like Colonial Williamsburg, Disney
World, Knotts Berry Farm, the Grand Canyon Visitor Center, etc.  While I'm no
fan of the testing, I can see why it would deemed important by administrators.