Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 11:25:14 -0500
>>  Sometimes, though, I think it can be as simple a factor as students not
really knowing that such a resource exists on campus.  I've taught a few
archaeology courses at University of Kansas and as the semester draws long and
grade anxiety sets in I have made it an extra credit option to go to the
Anthropology museum there, see the exhibits, and then, of course, write a few
pages about the experience.  It is not at all uncommon for either the first or
the last paragraph of the paper to indicate that the student had no idea there
was such a place, and even to state that now that they knew about it they
surely would be back (of course, whether or not they do I do not know).  None
of this is due to a lack of "advertising", so to speak, by the museum - it
simply suggests to me that with everything that goes on on campuses,
instructors sometimes could do a better job of telling students what of the
plethora of places and activities that are there are particularly pertinent to
their education.  That's just my 2 cents worth from a bit of experience over
the last year or so.

Donna Roper