From:
Elizabeth Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:36:47 -0400
It depends on the artifact, it depends on the context, it depends on the
scientific value of each artifact... There is no way that you can say x
number of anything is enough or not enough.  You have to have sufficient
knowledge of the discipline and the materials to make that call and no
single number can be used that could cover any given artifact class.
(Except with brick fragments which, in my opinion, are overrepresented by a
sample of two.  Just kidding - please all you brick loving listers, don't
reply with explanations of the scientific value of brick fragments; I'm
familiar with them and really am just kidding.)

Elizabeth Moore
Dr. Elizabeth A. Moore
Curator of Collections and Archaeology, Assistant Director of Science and
Learning
Virginia Museum of Natural History
1001 Douglas Avenue
Martinsville, VA  24112