From:
Buffalo Bill Museum - PR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:20:31 -0600
It would be well and good if museums and libraries did indeed charge fees
that are appropriate.  But many charge use fees on top of reproduction fees.
We have paid anywhere from $50 to $125 per photo in use fees for photos from
other institutions for exhibits we have done.  So much for museum courtesy.
We recently had an author approach us because another institution was asking
$100 per photo and he needed three photos for a book he was writing.  We
provided them to him for $100 and he though he got a bargain.  He did, many
of the larger research facilities are trying to turn fulfilling photo
requests into a moneymaking operation.  We have a sliding scale of use fees
for commercial use that start at $50 but when someone asks for a quantity of
photos we work with them.  And we usually provide photos to the news media
at no charge at all (we sometimes waive the reproduction fee as well).

I think that fulfilling photo requests can be very good PR for an
institution.  Our Museum's visibility has been helped by the various photos
that we provide to everyone from authors to the news media.  I frequently
hear from members of the press that museums are difficult to work with,
particularly when it comes to getting photographs.  I can assure you that we
have worked very hard not to be difficult to work with; in just the past
year we have had images in everything from national travel magazines to
inflight magazines.  Our 65,000 a year visitation is due, at least in part,
to just this kind of effort.

One more thought, I realize one needs to be realistic about earned income
but let's not forget our mission statements while we are at it.  Don't we
have some obligation to aiding the pursuit and dissemination of knowledge?

Steve Friesen, Director
Buffalo Bill Museum and Grave
987 1/2 Lookout Mountain Rd.
Golden, CO  80401