From:
Robert Guralnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 1995 19:08:40 PST
        Hi All ---

        I am afraid that Robbin speaks the truth when it
comes to the use of GIF's.  It appears that Compuserve and Unisys
decided back in June to charge a fee for any developers use of
GIF images and that the consequences could be extremely dire.
What it may do is spell the death of the GIF image format, and
a move to JPEG image formats, but it is still an open issue.
I have a long post from another listserver that I would be happy
to pass along to anyone who is interested, but since it is quite
long I thought it best not to post the whole thing to the list.
It includes the ORIGINAL agreement between Unisys and CompuSWINE
from back in 1987, a letter of protest from the president of
Delphi and the terms of the agreement that go into effect in six
days, Jan. 10.

Cheers,

Robert Guralnick   | Museum of Paleontology   | University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720 | [log in to unmask] | (510) 642-9696

p.s.  Happy New Year