From:
Kevin Gene Canze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 15:45:50 -0500
This is exactly the kind of aloof response so many people expect from
academics and museum "types". It comes off as condescending, leaving a
lasting negative impression with the visitor they are likely to pass on
to others.
         Representing a university art museum, I think I can appreciate the
scholarly standards that drive this community. Since we provide
services (education AND entertainment) and not products that we can sell,
we need to welcome all visitors and their inquiries. This is even more
true in light of the outlook for governmentally funded museums. The
ever-shrinking pot of public funds needs to be replaced by private
funds--industry, individuals, foundations for the public good. What
funder would want to be associated with a museum that scares away its
constituency? Bad press, I think.

Kevin Canze
University of Michigan Museum of Art
http://www.umich.edu/~umma