From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:55:48 -0400
Jackie,

As in all of these situations much depends on the specifics. The type
of leather, whether it is dyed, and it's condition. Is it torn? does it
have red rot? Is it supple or brittle and friable? Is it stained?

Vacuuaming will remove the surface dust but you probably have more
deeply ingrained soiling present.

Adding oils or oil based cleaners and finishes cause significant
problems in antique or heirloom leathers. Professional conservators
tend to stay away from the "salad dressing" approach. Oil will
eventually change over time and chemically crosslink with the leather -
darkening and making the leather inherently weak as time goes on - it
is an irreversible treatment. It's fine if you have a utilitarian
object like a saddle or tack that you only see lasting 1- 25 years, but
it is not really a method I'd recommend for museum or collectable
objects.

I saw a simple but excellent treatment of 18th century tooled and
gilded leather wall-hanging carried out by a colleague. The surface was
vacuuamed and then he simply applied rennaisance wax with soft cloths
and buffed it out. The microcrystalline wax paste served to both pick
up the grime as well as to saturate and protect the surface. The
efficacy of this approach entirely depends on the specifics of your
leather. As in any potential treatment, always test methods on a small
out of the way area first to assess what it is going to do.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator