From:
Ware Petznick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:08:47 -0500
As far as I know, halogen lights are not only more efficient but they
produce less heat than comparable incandescent bulbs. Especially when used
in enclosed cases, halogen lights produce illumination without greatly
increasing heat for collections objects. Furthermore, the color of the light
is closer to white (thereby not altering the perceived color of objects as
much as the yellow light from incandescent lighting).

A breakdown of halogen v. incandescent lighting is found here:
http://www.goodmart.com/facts/light_bulbs/halogen_vs_standard.aspx

Xenon lights are also now available for similar purposes.

Ware

L.W.S. Petznick, Ph.D.
McFaddin-Ward House
Curator of Collections
725 N. Third St.
Beaumont, TX 77701
409.832.1906 p 409.832.3483 f

SAVE THE DATE for Who Else Lived Here? The Historic House Museum Conference
Nov 1-3, 2007 in Beaumont, Texas.

The McFaddin-Ward House features three floors of original furnishings,
including a newly restored third floor. Learn how the First World War
affected the McFaddin family as we explore "Foxtrots and Foxholes"
throughout 2007. Call 409-832-2134 for tour information.