From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 09:35:11 +0100
Stella,

We use a CGI script which is available with the Netscape Communication
Server (the server side software to do the WWW).  The Netscape
Communication Server is available free to non-profits, so you should be
able to obtain the script.  The software automatically logs the IP address,
domain name, time, date and what the individual was hitting.  A second
script allows you to analyze the logs.  The logs are VERY large.  You must
have programs to analyze them.  For example, our log file has over 100,000
entries for just 30 days.

We also use CGI scripts to specifically capture information at desired
points.  For example, we use a script which records the time, date, and IP
address when ever someone accesses a particular file.  Those logs are much
smaller and can be visually inspected.  Matt Kruse has written a shareware
script to do public links.  His script contains a subroutine which logs the
IP address to a text file anytime a feature is accessed.  You should be
able to hack the script to do what you want it to do.  Matt's site is
listed in Yahoo under WWW/CGI.

What server daemon are you using?  It would suprise me if it doesn't come
with a script to log all hits.  If you don't have your own server, that is,
you are paying a fee to maintain a homepage on a commercial server, then
most likely the provider has all that information and could probably be
persuaded to make it available for a fee.

I would like to point out to budget minded institutions that there is a
whole lot of quality shareware and free software available for the web.
This includes CGI scripts which will allow you to put your gift shop on the
web.

Feel free to continue this dialog.  I posted my answer to the museum list
as well since it's a continuation of a previous thread.

Jim

>>We presently capture the IP address and the domain name of all virtual
>>visitors.  It should be possible to correlate the IP address with a
>
>How or what do you use to capture the IP of all visitors?  I have been
>looking for such a program but have not been successful.
>

>Stella

Jim Angus
Information Technology and Hypermedia Programs
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90007

voice:  213/744-3317
fax:    213/746-2999