From:
Jim Lyons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 16:13:04 -0800
>I'd like to think that people gave of
>themselves, their time and tithes, out of the pure
>benevolence of it all.  But philanthrophy, I'm afraid,
>is usually more of a WIIFM (What's In It For Me?).
>
>Indigo Nights

============

March 4, 2002

It's too bad that more people can't be like the person who donated an
enormous amount of money to build the indoor theater at the Oregon
Shakespeare Festival.  When asked, she suggested (insisted?) that the
theater not be named for her, but for Angus Bowmer, the Festival
founder in 1935, and it's chief booster, supporter and leader the
remaining 50 years of his life.  It's true, she spent her money for
the Festival, but he spent his life.

I believe it was Henry Clay who said (I paraphrase): "I'd rather be
asked why I hadn't been President than why I had".

-Jim
--
-Jim Lyons

http://www.jimlyons.com