From:
Jennifer Jaskowiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 09:45:46 -0700
Wish that we could have some income from admissions!  Our charter prohibits
us from charging admission to enter our museum.

We don't have a huge attendance, but then again, we are not the only game
in town (Los Angeles).  It would cost us more to monitor and process the
admissions (if we were allowed to demand a fee) than we would receive.

At one time,though, we did try a donation box which was toward the front of
our exhibition space.  People did donate, but others actually stole from
the box.  We just eliminated it completely.

A tough decision to make.  To charge or not to charge. On a personal note,
I remember when the Art Institute of Chicago's admission was donations
based.  Though AIC suggested donations, as a kid I would walk in a drop a
quarter in the box (I even remembered to return my metal button--that said
to all guards that I paid admission). During the major renovations (the
Rice wing was added, the skylights repaired, etc.) the donations policy was
changed to a standing admission price (with reduced rates for students
and--I think--a free day a month or a week).  As a visitor, I was a little
tiffed.  After all, I was able to see the Hopper and the Seurat for a
quarter before.  But as a museum professional, an art historian, and a
person who truly appreciates the AIC, I understood and handed over the
dollars.

In other words, I didn't mind paying the admission fee every now and again
for the quality experience which I knew that I would receive.  I would say
to keep your admissions in place.  Perhaps initiate a sliding scale with
reduced rates for students, or a free day, or reduce admission by a 10 or
15% standard--maybe as a summer special or something.

Jennifer Jaskowiak
Curator/Exhibition Coordinator
Fisher Gallery, USC