From:
Guy Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2002 08:43:34 -0400
>L-O-N-G story short... I am in immediate need of two pieces of
>information: (1) sample figures for the contruction of a new
>historical museum facility (i.e. costs per square foot for the
>buidling itself, apart from exhibit contruction costs), and (2) the
>average per-square-foot operational costs (maintenance, utilities,
>etc., apart from salaries).

Lori--

No easy answers here and no web sites or publications that can help
that I know of.  Construction costs vary depending on many factors
including the specific location (Miami is more expensive than
Topeka), the quality of finish, the kinds of spaces needed (exhibit
and collection areas are less expensive than auditoriums--lobbies
cost more than offices), and the size and timing of the project.
Operating costs are the same--all over the map.

That said, people have built museums on budgets of $100/SF to
$1,000/SF.  Our most recently completed history museum project, the
80,000 SF, one-year-old Texas State History Museum in Austin, came in
around $200/SF.  One useful comparison might be the construction cost
of "Class A" office space in your area.

Maintenance and utility costs vary from $2/SF to $10/SF or more
depending on climate, amount of glass, types of systems, insulation,
use of the building, etc, etc, etc.  It also depends on what exactly
you include in "operational" costs.

Guy

Guy Hermann
E. Verner Johnson & Associates