From:
Mary Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:30:59 -0600
>1. If employees have access to other insurance through a spouse, are >they
>allowed to carry insurance through the museum?

This is up to the employer to decide.  Most of my clients do not restrict
their employees in this way (it is very hard to administer), but I do know
of a few employers that require it because of budget constraints.

>2. If they opt out of insurance, are they given a financial >reimbursement
>equal to the insurance benefit? If not, what's the >reason?

This is also up to the employer to decide.  You may want to check your state
laws governing the insurance industry because it may be considered
discriminatory if you contribute money for insurance for one employee and
not another.

I have never encountered an employer that reimburses employees the full
amount of benefits, but do know of many employers that use "benefit
credits."  This allows employers to allot different flat $ amounts to each
employee depending on coverage selection and these credits can be used to
"purchase" any benefits that are not employer-paid.  Usually, if an employee
opts out of all benefits, they receive a small percentage of what it would
have cost to provide coverage.

I currently work for an insurance brokerage and administer an association of
200 non-profits (some of which are museums). Most of these clients do not
require an employee to access coverage if available through a spouse, nor do
they reimburse their employees for unused benefits.  As to why-I can only
speculate.  I believe that many employers view medical coverage as more of
an obligation rather than a benefit because of the huge cost that is
involved in providing coverage.  Many of the non-profits that I work with
believe they must provide the best benefits available because they are not
able to offer competitive pay.

Mary Moore