From:
Richard Chute <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 1995 18:45:39 -0800
Allison-

As an overworked museum type with little time to get my 8-5 work done (I'm
right now working at 6:30 pm and will be here for at least another hour), I
would also appreciate AAM feeding us complete form letters to send back to
our congressmen and senators.  Unfortunately, as someone who has written
legislative advocay letters quite a bit as a part of various job position,
I have to let you know that sending in a lot of pre-fab letters doesn't
mean as much as sending in letters that really discuss the specific impact
of legislation on your specific institution.  Letters can be especially
effective if they are not only thoughtfully written, but signed by
important people like museum directors and trustees (who may have personal
relationships with politicians). It's also important to copy AAM on these
letters so that they can read, and then include in their own advocacy
efforts, specific examples given by you about how the proposed legislation
will affect the important work that we do in museums.

A broad based, pre-fabricated letter/postcard campaign has its place, but
so too does the more thoughtful and more time consuming approach.  I hope
you will find/make the time to write, call or send an e-mail message to
your representatives.  Actually, I hope all of us will!

Richard Chute                           [log in to unmask]

Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden         Claremont, CA 91711
Phone:  (909) 625-8767, ext. 222
FAX:  (909) 626-6760