From:
dkennard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:09:59 +1100
I am preparing an outline of a paper I am writing about the inadequacy
of statistics on Australian museums.

I am interested in what happens in other countries, so I thought it
would be useful to gather some information from members of this List.

What statistics do US and Canadian museums maintain, are these published
in annual reports and reported to government (State and Federal)?

I am also interested in finding out whether there are uniform
definitions of:

   1. A visitor. If a visitor pays a fee and that person presumably
      would be counted, no matter the length of the visit, are
      non-paying guests, including media representatives, and members
      (friends of the museum and volunteers) also included?
   2. What happens when entry is free or requires a fee, but entry to an
      exhibition requires an additional fee? Counted twice?
   3. A child. Is the min and max age uniform?
   4. A high school and/or college student.
   5. A family, where some form of concession may apply.
   6. A school group.
   7. A coach group.
   8. Special interest groups (SIGSs)
   9. Senior citizens.

With staff, have any classifications been standardised?  Is there a
distinction between professional staff and non-professional staff? What
happens to volunteers? Is there a record of the number of hours of work
undertaken by volunteers?

If the museum holds exhibition openings and functions in the museum, are
any separate statistics reported?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Desmond Kennard
Principal Consultant
Museums in the making
HILL TOP, NSW

In this case, I am enquiring in my capacity as President, Southern
Highlands/Illawarra Chapter of Museums Australia - NSW Branch.