From:
Paul Silbermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 1996 12:05:18 EDT
Tim,

As an Archivist, I would caution you against going to digital format for
recording collection images - particularly if these are to be the record
copies for accessioning/registration. Digital images are much too
volatile (in my opinion) in that they can be altered (either
accidentally or on purpose) without leaving any overt evidence, unlike a
photographic negative. In addition, by going digital you tie your
reference to those records to a technology which may or may not be
available (power failures, system crashes, etc) - for a negative all you
need is a light source and a magnifying glass.

(Pardon me while I don my asbestos underwear)

Paul

Paul Silbermann                  National Air and Space Museum
[log in to unmask]             Archives Division
**************These opinions are mine, not NASM's**************