From:
Robbin Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 1994 13:08:27 -0500
Many of you have thanked me privately for sending out the NY Times
daily summary (you're welcome) and to ask me questions.

Yes, I do read the paper every morning and type in the summary, and
no, I don't have a private feed from the Times. It takes about 15
minutes to do the actual typing and I usually quote either the first
or second paragraph.

I try to select a variety of items that would be of interest to the
whole list though Wednesday is Science day and Friday Art day for
the paper. I tend to avoid UPI, Reuters and AP since I assume they
are also printed in your daily papers. I avoid the "big" stories
(no Tanya Harding) in favor of the odd special interest items. I try
to keep it to two screens.

This has turned into something of a "project" for me since I view the
Times as a sort of "museum" of information that crosses platforms and
can been used as a model for actual museums that are interested in
presenting their collections in broader contexts.

I would like to know:

Do you find the summary useful? annoying? no opinion.

If you find it useful, do you search out the articles you find interesting?
Can you find the articles you are looking for?

What other information source would you like to see a summary of? The CAAH
list posts the ToCs of several art journals, would the ToC of the
various art, history, science etc. journals be useful?

How would you want summaries and ToCs posted: the text posted by email,
a notice by email, by gopher, by anonymous ftp, by another route?

Would you pay for something like this? If yes, how much? (no I'm not going
to start charging) Or do you think the information sources should pay the cost?

Please send your answers, flames, praises, suggestions and indecent proposals
to me personally and if there is a good response I'll summarize to the list.

Robbin Murphy
NYU/Museum Studies

(If the NYU computer is down I can also be reached at:
[log in to unmask] [check once a day]
[log in to unmask] [check once a week])