From:
Mark Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 18:41:40 -0800
Chuck,

I'm also replying to the list because there may be others interested in our
Designer's Guide.

We provide interactive electronics for use in museum exhibit as well as
tradeshow displays.  We have an Exhibit Designer's Guide to Interactive
Electronics which may be of interest to you.

You can get a free copy of the Designer's Guide by filling out the form on
our website.  Click on the link below and go the the "more info" section.

To answer your specific questions:

How do you work with your clients? - How involved is the client in the
design process?

Of course it depends on project and the client and how involved they want to
be.  There are some projects that the client has worked out, they send us
the description and we send them the electronics ready for installation in
the exhibit.  Most projects we are quite involved with working with the
client from beginning to end.  We find that it works best when the client
outlines in broad strokes what it is that they are trying to accomplish
before it is a real project.  We then discuss it with them and give them
suggestions on how make less expensive, simpler, more effective, etc.

How do you estimate how long it will take to create a brand-new component?

Generally, when it comes to time we get a call from a client and they say
this is what we're need and we here's when we need it.  Can you do it?
Obviously, a reasonable lead-time is preferable.  We currently have three
week minimum lead-time for new projects.

How do you determine what you charge your clients?

Since almost all of our work is custom we estimate on project by project
basis.  However, we take a modular approach to interactive electronics.
This means we have a variety of modules which we combine and program for
each specific application.  This allows use to keep the cost down and still
be flexible.  We start with an estimate and turn it into a quote once the
specification are nailed down, if necessary

What about multimedia--do you do it yourselves or farm it out?

We have the capability of producing most of our own media.  However, there
are times that it make sense to "farm it out".  It all depends on the
project, the budget, and the needs of the client.

Hope this helps.

-Mark-

 * Mark Fowle, General Manager
 * INNOVA Applied Technology