From:
"C.M. Connelly" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 1996 20:31:38 GMT
HBC> = Henry B. Crawford <[log in to unmask]>

HBC> Which I exactly why I'm often seen at conferences running around
HBC> with students.  Once they get there, most of them need some
HBC> guidance and orientation from someone who knows the system and
HBC> knows enough people.  It helps to have a mentor there to conduct
HBC> introductions, point out people they need to know, and show them
HBC> things about networking that they don't learn in class,
HBC> especially if they're new to conference-going.  Mentoring is a
HBC> confidence building process more than anything else.

Yes!  I attended an AAM annual meeting way back in 1992, with high
hopes.  I borrowed my mom's car, drove down to Baltimore, and stayed
in the Youth Hostel there.

But when it came to the conference, I was lost.  Without someone to
introduce me to other people, or even just show me around, I was
unable to assert myself in any useful way and meet anyone who could
help me (or allow me to help them).

I _did_ get encouragement from the folks at the Smithsonian table to
apply for a couple of positions (both of which I got on the
certificate for, and both of which went unfilled, in the end), and I
left a couple of other resumes, but that was it.  I finally ended up
moving to California (where I had people who promised to give me a
place to stay and help me find a job).

Once there, I spent _months_ writing and calling (visiting, too, when
I could) nearly every museum in the Bay Area, and finally had to take
a temporary job working with computers, which led to my current
position administering computer networks (which I hate -- I'm
currently looking for another position, and so far, all the people
interested in me are bigger corporations, who can only offer money).

So, yes, I agree that mentoring is the key.  Unless you happen to be
one of those very outgoing people who are comfortable with standing up
in a crowd and making themselves known, having someone who can help
you with the process is a necessity.

   Claire

 C.M. Connelly                  Senior Systems Analyst/Project Manager
     >|<                               Information Technology Services
 [log in to unmask]                      California Medical Association