From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 04:52:12 -0700
--- "Mary L. Kirby" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It would seem to me that some of the "planners" Rumsfeld speaks of could
> have prepared some military police units to go into key places prepared
> to fire on rioting people.

Okay, major distinction here - Military Police are NOT like your regular
civilian police force. They do similar jobs in some cases like set up check
points, do arrests, run patrols but these guys are trained to operate in a
MILITARY environment mainly among military personnel. Even if they are civilian
police in real life, Military protocols are different.

That said, controlling riots is something that is the job of speciality trained
civilian police forces, NOT military police. Their gear is completely differet
as are the protocols and techniques. Military police are NOT extensively
trained to control riots or other actions of civil disobedience just as
civilian police are not trained to fight a war.

Plus the areas being looted are still considered war zones. It would be
irresponsible to send in civilian police forces to an area which isn't 100%
secure.

True National Guard troops have been sent for actions of extreme civil
disobedience like in the race riots of the 60s but they were working with a
civilian police force that was directing the action. And the cilivian police
were mainly dealing with people that had bricks and stones, not paramilitary
troops dressed as civilians trying to kill them. Different times and different
situations.

So in summary, please don't think that because the military police are a police
force, they are the same as a civilian police force. They have different
protocols and work in different environments.

Deb