From:
Kim Feinknopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 15:28:58 -0500
Tanya - This is an interesting question that I had never considered.
However, it seems that metal cabinetry is a better choice. Plex or acrylic
has a static charge that attracts dust and residues and is difficult to
clean as a storage cabinet. All objects would need to be removed for
cleaning if there is an accumulation of dust where as metal stays fairly
free of dirt. On another note, plex scratches easily and painting canvases,
frames and hardware do a lot of damage to storage units. Light too is a
preservation issue to think about. Any object should be kept as much as
possible out of UV rays and heat and plex is not conducive to dark storage
even if it is colored. While metal seems to hold the cold and can be kept
dark. Most of our exhibit casing and glazing for frames has a filter for
such rays. As for the recordings, I would guess that heat is your greatest
threat as well as scratching...again I would opt for other materials for
storage units. However, maybe someone else knows more about these particular
items.
Kim Feinknopf-Dorrian
Ohio Historical Society
History Collections Department