Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:18:34 -0400
Hi Kathleen,

Based on some research (for example Conserv-o-gram 3.3, available on line)
and advise from fellow listers I opted for the Hobo dataloggers. They are
relatively inexpensive (less than $100) and small. Especially since I need
quite a few (30+), price is an important factor. The Boxcar software that
goes with the Hobo is about $100 and does the job. Whether it's fool proof
or not I don't know ... it took me a while to figure out how to deal with
files and filenames. I guess it depends on the fool. Also, at first I was
startled to see how fast the battery went, but after I adjusted the number
of readings per hour, that appears to no longer be a problem.

I also purchased Climate Notebook software (www.climatenotebook.org), at
about $500. This allows for some good customization of the data and the
interpretation.

From my own experience and from what I have seen and heard, it happens all
too often that environmental monitoring data gather dust on a shelf as soon
as the charts are taken off the thermohygrograph meter. Using dataloggers
and special software is not a guarantee that that woudn't happen anymore.
However, I find it a lot easier to share the data with other interested
parties, and to parties less interested, to show where there are problems!

I have worked with the Climate Notebook on and off for a year or two, and
with the Hobos only half a year. So far I am very pleased with both.

If you want more detailed info, please let me know.

Remko Jansonius
Collections and Archives Manager
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
Miami, Florida