From:
David Hawkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 15:47:16 -0700
Whenever I can I include an accession number, scale and
color/grayscale in my images.  Sometime it dosen't work but with
careful placement these items can be cropped out for publication
images.  This makes identifing images / objects very easy.

David Hawkinson
Manager, Imaging & Photographic Services
Museum of Art, Brigham Young University
http://www.byu.edu/tmcbucs/moa/moahome.html

>>> START, Rodney <[log in to unmask]> - 3/6/96 8:44 AM >>>
The Museum of Victoria has had an Image Capture program going for the
past 4 years using the analogue system.  We have recently begun using
digital cameras and scanners instead of analogue for our image
capture.   With the old analogue system the images were used purely
for collection management purposes.   In these images we had the
object number and a simple scale for reference.   The image quality
was of a low standard which prevented them from being used for
electronic publication work.   But now with the higher quality that
the digital images provide we are plan to use the images on the
Web, CD-Rom as well as with collection management.

We have a discussion as to whether to continue to include a scale
with each object image or not.   From a photographic point of view
the image looks far better without the scale, as well as making it
easier for the operator to capture the image.   But certain
curatorial staff want to keep the scale in the image.

I would be interested to find out how other institutions are handling
their images concerning the  inclusion of scales.

I look forward to your comments.

Rodney Start [log in to unmask]