From:
Catherine Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:56:43 -0400
Greetings,

"BackStory With the American History Guys," a new public radio show
based at the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, is searching for
callers for our upcoming show, "Panic!: A History of Financial Crisis."
If you're curious about the historical context of the present crisis,
this is your chance to ask the show's hosts--historians Ed Ayers, Peter
Onuf, and Brian Balogh--any question you like, and stick around for the
conversation to follow. The next taped recording session will be this
coming Sunday, Oct. 26th, from 9am-12pm EST; calls take about ten
minutes. Email [log in to unmask] ASAP for more details.

Here's a short synopsis of what we'll explore on this show:
"Deregulation…Crash…Recession…Bailout. Sound familiar? Probably. Sound
modern? It shouldn’t. Everyone knows about the Great Depression, but the
crises of 1819, 1857, 1893 and 1907 were all surprisingly similar.
Investors lose confidence in banks, and government has to pick up the
pieces. The structure of the U.S. Treasury is itself a product of the
Panic of 1837, brought on by loose lending and lax oversight. So what
are the social consequences of these panics? How have we responded in
the past? And why do people think we’ll ever break free from this cycle?
What would you like to know about the history of market crashes?"

Join the conversation, find more information on "BackStory," and sign up
for our Podcast at www.backstoryradio.org. Please feel free to forward
this to museum patrons and colleagues. Hope you tune in!

--
Catherine Moore
Assisting Producer of Research