From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 17:14:44 -0800
I just read poor Olivia's comments about that crazy
note.  Like many of you, I too, got it, but it didn't
do anything to me except amaze me at how foolish some
can be to send such poppycock.

With that said, today I read of YET ANOTHER virus
going round the web and playing shenanigans with
people's Outlook mailboxes.

Let me tell you what I've done lately to try to stay
virus free.

About a year ago, I purchased a year's worth of McAfee
virus protections.  When I get notice it's time to
reup, I will.  It's been one of the best things I
could have done.  http://www.mcafee.com

At first, I only updated when some crisis note would
go round the web.  However, because there have been
sooo very many virii, I am now in the habit of just
checking for updates every day or at least every other
day.  Doesn't take long, but it does require that I
reboot once I've downloaded.  That's still a nuisance
but a lot less of a nuisance than having to rebuild my
hard drive or apologize to others about sending them a
virus.  I checked yesterday, and I was up to date.
Today, I just got through checking, downloading, and
rebooting.  I had checked Monday, and I was fine then,
too.

Next, I don't use Outlook.  Ok, when I'm working, if
that's all they'll provide, I don't have any choice,
but it's up to the company and not impatient me to fix
the problem.

For my personal email, I download to two different
intermediaries.  I use Yahoo, obviously, for this list
and a couple of others.  For my primary account, I use
http://www.webbox.com  Yahoo is free, though I did buy
the expanded mailbox for personal reasons--still very
reasonable.  Webbox is only $10 a year.

In both instances, they capture the virii and you have
another way to keep from getting them into your
system.  Yahoo comes with its own virus screen, and
Webbox warns you up front about risks.  You can then
go to the files section and delete the little
dastardly buggers.

I'm not going to say I'm 100% invincible, but this is
like super extra safe sex.  Anything is still
possible, but less probable putting protection
mechanisms in place.

I haven't yet decided to go firewall.  Probably I'll
do that when I update McAfee.  That is another way to
know if you're under attack.

It is absolutely disgusting that we are so frequently
under attack, but I'm afraid that's the nature of the
beast.  Maybe something I'm doing may help somebody
else to preclude the frustration.

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a job?  Try: