From:
SHIN-HUEI LIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 1996 09:38:07 -0800
I am a student in Museum Studies. I am working on a paper about theories
of material culture. I would like to know those theories which are suitable
for the practice of history museums.
        According to the books I have read, I know that there are many
disciplines whose research are basically about materials, such as
archaeology, historical archeaology, anthropology, folklore and fine art.
Each discipline has different methodology and theory about artifacts (or
objects). I specifically wnat to know the opinions of persons who teach
material culture in Museum Studies or American Studies. What are the theories
you introduce to your students?
        I also would like to know the experince of curators when planing an
objects based exhibit, in whcih objects are used as a primary
source not as an illustrated evidence. Did theories of material culture
do any help to you when doing an exhibit plan.

I appreciate for any comment or suggestion!

Shin-huei Lin
San Francisco