From:
Amy West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:24:33 -0400
I don't know if our resident Speaker to Conservators has already
addressed this:

Either talk to the folks at the Northeast Document Conservation
Center in Andover, MA, the folks at Solinet (Sothern Library
Network), or go to the AIC Web site and find a photograph conservator
to talk to.

At most what you will be able to do is lift the the plastic of the
tape off using a microspatula. It will still leave the crystallized
adhesive bits on the photograph. Loose bits could be brushed away.
But any others will have to be removed by solvents. If they can be
removed at all. This is why you need a knowledgeable photograph
conservator who knows what can and cannot be safely used on the
surface.

For crumbling edges, perhaps the classic wheat paste and japanese
paper backing to support those edges, since you've done some paper
conservation.

---Amy West