From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:22:01 -0500
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:31:12 -0500, Lynne <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>    This does not happen when the students and teachers visit our tiny
> museum, but I am now expecting it every time I go to a school. My concern is
> that it is a bit disruptive and it means that keeping everyone quiet often
> requires my intervention, rather than the teacher's intervention, because he
> or she is not paying attention. I am loathe to send a reminder of good
> manners for *teachers* though, so I would appreciate thoughts on what I
> might do about this, if anything.

As a former teacher, I'm guilty of grading papers during assemblies
and other classroom programs. But on the flip side, I also kept one
eye on my students and would butt in if they started acting up.

If the teachers aren't distracting the students and the students are
behaving, I'd ignore them. They're adults and should be allowed to
manage their time as they see fit. Ignore 'em and concentrate on the
kids.

Now if the teachers aren't paying attention to their kids and the kids
are starting to get a little rowdy, I'd stop the program and remind
the students of their manners, making sure the teacher catches this.
Chances are, he/she will be a little embarrassed and pay more
attention to how the students are behaving. If not, then don't
hesitate to stop again or even quit your whole program because of
student behavior, just like you would at your museum. On your way out,
apologise to the principal that you couldn't finish your program
because of student behavior. I guarantee that the principal will go
have a little chat with the teacher and the students.

A reminder letter before the program stating your expectations for the
program wouldn't hurt either. Use "proactive" statements like, "Museum
staff will be bringing artifacts to show the students during the
program. Students need to pay close attention to the museum presenter
so that everyone gets a chance to see them and learn how to properly
handle the objects."  or "Museum staff can stop the program at any
time if student behavior is not conducive to learning." These rules
can certainly apply to programs at the museum as well.

And lastly, make sure that your programs are engaging and appropriate
to your audience - i.e. don't lecture the kids. Sometimes bad behavior
can be stopped before it gets started by creative programs.

Good luck!

Deb