Date:
Thu, 28 May 1998 23:59:44 +0000
On Wed, 27 May 1998 16:26:01, Patricia McElyea wrote:

> Subject:       Centimeter Scales

> Hello All,
>
>         Recently someone posted a response to a request for information
> about locating a usable centimeter scale.  The response stated that
> the Art Loss Register offered a photograph scale/colour bar free of
> charge.
>         We are also interested in obtaining such a scale, however the ALR
> website doesn't mention anything and there are no Email addresses
> listed.  Does anyone know if they really do offer the scale and if so
> how to order one??
>

> Patricia McElyea                                 Unless the heart sees
> Curator of Collections                           The mind will never see.
> Arkansas State
>    University Museum                                      --Maori proverb

The centimeter scale has been created as a part of the project ,
"International Documentation Standards for the Protection of Cultural
Objects", initiated and developed by the Getty Information Institute.

More details of the project and the core standards, called Object ID,
can be found under the Getty Information Institute's website at:
http://www.gii.getty.edu/pco/index.html

By its nature, the Art Loss Register was also involved in the Getty's
project, and presently offers a compact centimeter scale (10cm) with
standard colour bar scales incorporated. Its website introduces the
Object ID in Issue 7, May 1997, the Newsletter of the ALR which can be
read at: http://www.artloss.com/navnew2.htm

If anyone of Museum-L subscribers is interested in this kind of scale
or a larger one for their GENERAL purpose, I would suggest that s/he
should contact the Getty Information Institute, 1200 Getty Center
Drive, Suite 3000, Los Angeles, California 90049-1681, USA
(http://www.gii.getty.edu/pco) as well as the Art Loss Register.

Thanks.

Jongsok Kim

Research Student
M.Phil./Ph.D. in Museum and Gallery Management
Department of Arts Policy and Management
City University, London, UK.