From:
Christine Mouw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 12:35:37 -0400
Olivia S. Anastasiadis wrote:

We do not charge an administrative loan fee; we would like to avoid that.
 Again, if a lender charges us, we will remember them and avoid them if
possible.  Or, if they come calling, we'll repay the favor.

I think that Olivia brings up a very good point about the effects of
charging for a loan.  If a museum does want to charge us, it might cause
a few bad feelings and be bad public relations--but the Nixon Library has
always been really nice to us! :-)  We keep a list of museums to whom
we will not loan things because they've acted in an unprofessional
manner.  While adding a museum to that list simply because they charged
us for a loan would be wrong, we'd probably send out a loan to such a
museum with a bit of departmental complaining, and it probably wouldn't
be our highest priority--hey, we're only human out here in Iowa!
Museums that are nice, friendly and cooperative get quicker attention
than those who aren't.  Remember you catch more flies with honey than
vinegar!

Christine Mouw
Assistant Curator
Herbert Hoover Presidential Library-Museum
West Branch, Iowa  52358