From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:52:18 -0700
Why uniforms?  Dress or nice pants, tie for guys.  Yes, go with the nice polo shirt with a logo.  Or why not just a badge?  But, uniforms!  UGH!  Security guards, however, I would have them look official.

Too, who will pay for the uniforms?  For cleaning? For replacements?  Can be expensive.   Go with a shirt or a badge  * would be my vote.

John

We will be opening our new Whaling Museum in June.  We'd like our front-line staff (interpretive, visitor services, museum shop, and maintenance staff) to wear some sort of uniform so that visitors will be able to easily identify them in our new - and much bigger - space.  We also believe a professional, standard appearance will be a nice compliment to our beautiful new building.

In addition to daily programs, we will have a whole month of opening events at which all staff (both front-line and administrative) will be expected to help.  We also think the entire staff should have a consistent appearance for these events.

None of our staff have ever worn uniforms before.

Have any of you had experience transitioning a staff who have never worn uniforms to one required to wear uniforms?
Have you had administrative staff wear some sort of uniform for special events/celebrations? Were they the same uniforms used at your museum on a daily basis?
What sort of uniforms do staff wear at your museum? We are a resort community so we are thinking polo shirts and khakis - but have heard some women don't want to wear golf-style shirts - how do we make everyone happy?

Thanks in advance.

Kirstin
------
Kirstin Freeman Gamble