From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 13:21:21 +1300
Welcome to this edition of DINOSAURNEWS - the international Dinosaur Webzine
with bite!

This Week's Headlines: (For the FULL STORY visit the NEWS section of the
webzine at this address: http://www.dinosaurnews.org )

**  PaleoFest 2006
Are you a fossil fan? a dino phile? a paleo buff? Then Burpee Museum is the
place to be on February 18th & 19th ! Enjoy a weekend of lectures,
workshops, and special activities for all ages.

**  New Fossil Find in New Mexico Named After Artist Georgia O'Keeffe
The species name, okeeffeae, honours the artist Georgia O'Keeffe, who lived
near the site in northern New Mexico where the fossil was found

**  Feature Site: 3D Museum
Dr. Ryosuke Motani from the University of California and his colleagues have
just launched 3DMuseum.org, a website displaying 3D shapes of bones and
shells, both fossil and recent

**  Other Fossil News: Amber Research Brings Ancient Forest To Life
Scientists at Oregon State University have produced one of the most detailed
and accurate ecological descriptions ever made of a prehistoric rain forest,
based on the study of insects, plants, seeds and other material - almost all
of which is now extinct - found trapped in amber about 20 million years ago

**  Spinosaurus towers over T-rex
The spinosaurus - a theropod which stood on two legs like tyrannosaurus and
gigantosaurus - was first identified by the German palaeontologist Ernst
Stromer, who found the first specimen in Egypt in 1912
lists. Simply send an email to: [log in to unmask]

**  Not Quite Dinos But: Video of Pleo the dinobot in action
Cnet has a video of Pleo the robotic dinosaur (maybe we should say the other
robotic dinosaur), that cute, plush automaton with 38 sensors, 14 servos,
and a strong lineage in the person of none other than Furby himself

**  Bird fossils unearthed
At one stomach-churning moment during a recent expedition to remote
northwest China, Pittsburgh palaeontologist Matt Lamanna promised fellow
scientists he would eat a duck foot if they unearthed a rare bird fossil

**  Easy Does It
The footprint - about 2ft long - is thought to have been made by a
megalosaurus in the Middle Jurassic Period, between 165 million and 170
million years ago, when what is now Yorkshire was a swampy river delta

**  Oldest T. rex relative unveiled
The researchers were surprised to learn the 3m long dinosaur sported a
spectacular feathered crest on its head which may have been brightly
coloured

**  7th Federal Fossil Conference to be held in Albuquerque
The 7th Federal Fossil Conference "Preserving America's Public Fossils",
Albuquerque, New Mexico

DINOSAURNEWS webzine now read in 80 countries. Hundreds of Dinosaur Books,
The latest Dinosaur News, Dinosaur Games, Dinolinks and a Dinomall. Read
something ferocious this week: http://www.dinosaurnews.org

SEND US YOUR NEWS: Does your Museum have a dinosaur focus? Put us on your
media database. We welcome your news of events, discoveries and exhibitions

GET YOUR LOCAL MUSEUM TO ADD our RSS news feed to their web site, at this
address: http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/dino2004/dinosaur.xml

What our readers say:

I must say first that I subscribe to your E-mail news letters and read them
voraciously for book ideas. The news blurbs are such a wonderful service to
us dino fanciers!
Christine Gentry - author of 'Mesozoic Murder 'and 'Carnosaur Crimes'

Thank you for an interesting, useful site. I recommend it to teachers who
continue to contact me after 6 years of retirement. I also volunteer at the
local science museum and recommend your site to the many children who visit
it.
Marvin Selnes, Sioux Falls, SD

Thank You for the excellent coverage you've given my ongoing research.
Best regards,
Marilyn D. Wegweiser, Ph.D., Affiliate Faculty, Idaho Museum of Natural
History