From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 10:23:37 +0100
Geoffrey:

Good to hear from you.  I was unable to get a definite answer to this
same question when I was doing my Nordic keynote for last November (still
there on http://www.city.ac.uk/artspol/uppsala.html).  However, Cary Carp
told the story at Uppsala about how proud Sweden was to find itself
listed first when the Virtual Library - Museums was first officially
launched - only to be told that the listing was alphabetical by country,
and at that time only Sweden, UK and USA were in the frame!  Anyway, it
looks as though you need to look in one of those three countries.

Non-Internet on-line interactive museum systems are of course very much
earlier.  We had sixteen or so pages plus on-line response frames for the
Leicestershire Museums, Arts and Records Service (UK) on the then
British Telecom Prestel system from about 1981, and the Paris Cite des
Sciences et de l'Industrie, La Villette, launched a major interactive
presence on the French Minitel system at the same time as its official
opening in about 1983.  (As I recall it they had around 10,000 Minitel
users a day of their interactive exhibition and information system on
SIDA/AIDS, about five times as many users as in the actual La Villette
exhibition.)

Patrick Boylan