From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 16:00:28 -0500
Hello Roos Weeks et al.,

> Jay ignores altogether that museums must do whatever they can to
> provide a welcoming experience for those who care enough to visit.
That
> means obtaining two or three more wheelchairs (often they will be
> donated) and finding a place to keep them.

I am ignoring nothing; rather, I sense a large gap between providing a
"welcoming experience" and providing wheelchairs and strollers.  As I
wrote in an earlier message, Joslyn Art Museum has two wheelchairs (more
than needed based on daily average number of visitors) and has plans to
rent more wheelchairs during major special exhibitions.

But what if three more or six or twelve more wheelchairs are not enough.
What is enough?

> I have no physical handicap of any kind, but out of habit I simply
leave a
> visitor-oriented place that doesn't seem to give a darn in one way or
> another if I'm served.  I walked out of a store yesterday when a clerk
> seemed too busy to answer questions about a small appliance, and won't
> be going back.  Museums must show they "care" and, of course, in the
> instant case, it's the law anyway.

Did you take the time to investigate what kept that clerk from answering
your questions about said small appliance?  Would you have cared if the
clerk had a reason for the delay?  Were you just impatient?

Yours truly,

Jay Heuman
Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum http://www.joslyn.org
2200 Dodge Street
Omaha, NE     68102
Phone: 402-342-3300, ext. 298