From:
Bill LeFurgy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:40:26 -0500
Richard A. Fields wrote on 1/31:
>I also thought a database for thier collection would help, as well as some
sort of membership software.>

There are lots of opinions on this subject, but my own view is that standard
off the shelf software is best.  Small institutions in particular need to
use common applications to keep training and support needs to a bare minimum
& also to use electronic information that is already available.  One of the
"suite" sets that are available (such as Microsoft Office or Novell's
Perfect Office, to name two) should do just fine.  They have well-known
word-processors, databases, spreadsheets, etc. that are relatively easy to
learn and configure.  Of course selection of the software is dependent upon
the kind of computer that is available, but assuming the machine is of
recent vintage (eg, a 386 PC or better) there should be no major problems.

Whatever software package is chosen, at least one user (and preferably more)
must undertake to learn the ins and outs of the applications.  This usually
means some mix of training, reading manuals, seeing what others places are
doing, and lots of messy trial and error work.  But once a basic familiarity
is achieved, it is not hard to design and use basic databases for things
like object collections, membership lists, record and book holdings, census
listings, church registers and so forth.  Of course you must have some
scheme for describing and using this information, but that really should be
in place before the computer even comes in the door.
|Bill LeFurgy        |  Culture in Cyberspace/INMA                      |
[log in to unmask]  |  Information Networking and Management Associates|
|(301) 230-0880      |  http://www.radix.net/~wlefurgy/welcome.htm      |