From:
Lynn Laffey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 14:58:38 -0500
Good Afternoon,

Thank you everyone who responded to my post about scanner requirements.  In
a few weeks, I will be receiving my new scanner which hopefully has all of
the features I need to begin scanning in our photograph collection.

However, another scanning question came up this morning.  We were recently
offered 3 bound books (approximately 2,000 pages) to scan in.
Unfortunatley, this person does not want to donate the books (although he
may eventually bequeth them to us).  The books are an invaluable source of
information about our site that we never new about.  So we are willing to
do what ever we need to to get a copy of the books for our records.  The
books are not in the best of shape.  And the donor is only willing to have
the pages scanned not photocopied.

So, I am now looking for any information about outsourcing the scanning of
these 3 books.  Has anyone ever sent out a book to be scanned by a digital
imaging company?  Does anyone have any recommendations about a company they
have used (good or bad)?

Lynn Laffey
Morris County Park Commission
Historic Sites Division