From:
Angela Linn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2004 12:32:29 -0800
Melissa,
This issue is something we deal with all the time at UAMN. When
researchers work in our collections, we have them fill out the same
Photography Request Form that publishers are asked to fill out. On this
form, they state clearly what their intended use of the
"customer-produced photographs" and how they are required to be
credited. If they indicate that they are using the images only for
reference and education (in a classroom setting) then we could
potentially go back and deal with them if the photos do show up in a
publication somewhere.

As far as charging for research-based photography, we do it on a
case-by-case basis. If the scholar is working on a grant and they have
funding for this kind of thing, then we negotiate a fee based on the
amount of my time taken up for pulling the objects and dealing with the
researcher. If they are from a commercial venture, we typically will
charge. If it is a professional photographer (often artists), then our
fee structure is similar to museum-based photography where they let us
know if and when a particular piece is going to be used in a
publication and then invoice them accordingly.

At a certain point you have to have faith in the integrity of the
individual. Most scholars would also not want to publish a low-quality
image because that would reflect poorly on them as the author of the
piece, and thus responsible for all images.

If you'd like a copy of our form, feel free to contact me off the list.
Best,
Angela

Angela J. Linn
Collections Manager, Ethnology & History
University of Alaska Museum of the North
907 Yukon Drive
P.O. Box 756960
Fairbanks, AK 99775-6960
TEL: (907) 474-1828