From:
Richard Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 1995 17:23:49 -0800
The University Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive
at the University of California at Berkeley
is now on the Internet.

We are pleased to present access online to the wealth of art and film
resources at the UAM/PFA. Make sure to visit the exhibits area online which
is currently spotlighting our exhibit, In a Different Light, which explores
the resonance of gay and lesbian experience in twentieth-century American
art.  This area has images from the exhibit, essays by the curators, and
related material possible only on the Internet. This is the first exhibit
of it's kind to be put on the world-wide Internet. Our internet site is an
exciting beginning, and another resource, among many, under development for
access is The PFA Library Film Document Imaging Project. This NEH-funded
project will enable us to put into digital format 200,000 clippings on
films and film-related topics. This collection represents a unique resource
for the study of cinema.

Putting information into digital/networked formats will help us to
accomplish our educational mission by reaching a global audience, and will
create an accessible archive of art and film resources. As this access site
grows, we plan to work within the museum and academic communities and use
standards-based open architectures to ensure the long-term viability and
use of all our electronic resources. We will make full use of the special
advantages of electronic media to make these resources ...

       *deeply-structured and complete, for research purposes
       *globally accessible to both the academic community and the public
       *integrated with other pertinent information resources
       *dynamic, participatory, and current.

In 1995, the UAM/PFA celebrates it's 25th anniversary. It is interesting to
note that it is also the 25th anniversary of the Internet, so an auspicious
time for us to make our online debut.

You can access our site by using a World-Wide-Web browser such as Mosaic or
Netscape and connecting to:

http://www.uampfa.berkeley.edu/

Richard Rinehart              | University Art Museum / Pacific Film Archive
Information Systems Manager   | University of California at Berkeley
[log in to unmask] | 2625 Durant, Berkeley, CA 94720-2250