From:
Ton Cremers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2008 21:22:31 +0200
BENIN TO CHICAGO: IN THE UNIVERSAL MUSEUM?

 “And I am left thinking that the “Enlightenment principles on which public
museums in the United States were established” have perhaps contributed to
the irreversible destruction of our universal, or cosmopolitan, cultural
heritage”.
David Gill, Collecting Antiquities and Enlightenment Principles

…The exhibition, Benin: Kings and Rituals Court Arts from Nigeria, goes to
the Art Institute of Chicago (A.I.C.) from July 10 - September 21, 2008 as
the final station of this travelling exhibition which, starting in Vienna,
generated debates about restitution of stolen art, went to Paris and Berlin.
It is to be noted that the exhibition which is the biggest ever held on
Benin art will not be seen in Nigeria. It goes next to Chicago. But what
kind of institution is the Art Institute of Chicago?

full article with images:
http://www.museum-security.org/benin_to_chicago.doc

http://www.museum-security.org
http://www.museumbeveiliging.com