From:
Michael Wurtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:42:13 -0400
Yesterday we had a woman come to our Museum wanting to donate some records.
 These recording are well out of our mission statement, but we hoped some
repository out there might be interested.  Here is her story.

"My father (Frederick Clemens) was born in Ohio in 1902 where he bought
early recordings of Enrico Caruso with his childhood newspaper route
earnings.  He studied Italian and other languages at Ohio State University
in preparation for voice lessons in New York City.  He sang at St. Patrick's
Cathedral, began at the Metropolitan Opera Co, but moved West [first
Colorado then Los Angeles] for health reasons.  He owned the Record Den in
Los Angeles until 1952.  He continued to collect recording of operas and
fine voices of opera fame until 1985.  His collections consists of hundreds
of 78s and LPs with a variety of labels.  They were the love of my father's
life and have been given excellent care.  I would like to locate anyone who
has an interest in part or all of this collection."

If you are interested in these, or could suggest who would be, please e-mail
me.  Thanks,

MIKE

Michael Wurtz
Archivist