From:
Mary Beth Corrigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2006 10:16:46 -0500
I don't know how heavy your collections are, but I've had problems storing
collections above ground level.  I've had to be fairly conscious of how I
distributed collections to avoid their collapse on lower floors.  That's one
advantage to basement faciities.

I'm in the process of moving a collection into a basement storage area.  I
would check to see whether the basement sits as the low point of surrounding
neighborhoods.  Regardless of where it sits, I would ask for the
installation of french drains and sump pumps.  Also check on pipes or any
structure from above that might cause leaks.  Finally, don't forget the
building's exterior.  Make sure that the drainage system around the
building, including gutters, is sound (and check it regularly after you move
in).

As you plan the installation of shelving, I would leave a clearance of at
least 12" from the bottom in case the your plans go awry.  Also, I assume
that you will be working with the installation of an HVAC system.  You will
need not only to think about ventilation, but also the drainage of excess
water collected by your dehumidifier.  Perhaps this drainage system could be
tied to your french drains and sump pumps.

Mary Beth Corrigan