From:
Lynne Teather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 1994 10:21:19 -0400
> I believe the cite you are looking for is:
>
>      Schroeder, Fred.
>        "Designing Your Exhibits: Seven Ways To Look At An Artifact,"
>      American Association for State and Local History Technical Leaflet
>      91, Vol. 31, No. 11, 11/1976.
>
> I have seen references to this piece in a number of places.  It is really
> quite a useful way to think about teaching with objects and I think it is
> a minot classic in this field.

Dear Steven Smith,

Thanks a lot for the help. I actually am old enough to remember this
work and had not connected the reference. There are now many other works from
material cultural research to educational methods which echo the
Schroeder approach.  There were writers who also went before this
particular author, notably The Victoria and Albert's  Madelaine Mainstone
(former Head of Education) and her predecessor. Rene   as well as
Checkosolovakian museologists such as Z.Z. Stransky (my hero).
One of my first experiences in museums
was meeting Madelaine Mainstone at the V& A. Even though, I was very
junior she took the time to outline the approach to reading artifacts
that she used in her museum educational practice. It was extremely
inspirational and I can tell you that the approach is a fundamental
belief in my sense of the magic of museums to this day.

Since many of the writers will not have read Schroeder, it is
interesting how the method of approaching objects from the object out, if you
like, is really one inherent way of looking at material. (There are of
course others).

Thanks for reminding me of this piece.

Lynne Teather,
Museum Studies Program,