From:
"Anne B. Wheeler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 19:50:58 -0500
Okay, true enough... A big paycheck is very much the determining factor for
many with a western value system.  And coupled witht he Protestant work-ethic
heritage that says you must work, and hard, and what you get in return is
based on merit - yes I take your point.  It is demoralizing to bust your hump
for a lot of fat cats who are pretty clueless.  It is one of the hazards of
the museum profession in the U.S. that final decision making authority rests
with a board of trustees - usually a collection of industrialists who don't
know scratch about museums and treasure fables that somehow the gate revenue
should be enough to run the place.  The choices, as best as I can see them at
this stage, are to accept it as part of the package, quit and do something
else, protest publically, or work for change from within.  The last one will
take the rest of your career.  The second and third will end your career.
 The first will allow you to have your career and less pain.  I'm not being
flip with you.  I have often debated leaving the profession.  Perhaps we need
to unionize and bargain collectively.  Your thoughts?